Friday, November 16, 2018

Then We Can Say—This IS Who We Are

Four years into the 21st Century the launch of Facebook changed the way the world socialized. It was followed in a short time by Twitter and a still growing variety of information exchange hangouts. I was drawn to the little blue bird nest where you can often find me “tweeting with my peeps.” (I can’t help but chuckle just writing that

Tweets are, in a perfect world, brilliant and witty 280-maximum character comments, and peeps are those who follow you. Besides offering instant information, Twitter can be exciting, it can be aggravating, and, on an occasion or two, it can be downright fun. What makes it enjoyable for me is what makes most things enjoyable—the people. They are diverse, spunky, irreverent and all those things that make us uniquely human. It was on Twitter that I met Elizabeth Leonard. 
Elizabeth is a Professor of History at Colby College in Maine, a Civil War historian, and an author. Two of her books examine the roles of women in the Civil War. Yankee Women: Gender Battles in the Civil War, shares the experience of three women who stepped outside traditional roles to serve in the Union Army, and All the Daring of the Soldier: Women of the Civil War Armies, discusses the varied reasons and roles of women who joined on both sides of the conflict. Other books from Professor Leonard include: Lincoln's Avengers: Justice, Revenge, and Reunion after the Civil War; Men of Color to Arms! Black Soldiers, Indian Wars, and the Quest for Equality; and Lincoln’s Forgotten Ally: Judge Advocate General Joseph Holt of Kentucky. Those endeavors alone are enough to keep a person busy full time, but the professor is also a guitarist, singer/song writer, a political activist and a knitter.


A few weeks ago, to my good fortune, I noticed a tweet announcing the release of her new CD “Mother’s Day.” After several days listening to the delightful collection, it occurred to me to share my thoughts, and, with the author’s permission, a few snippets from the recording.
The music is American folk, a genre that musician Mike Seeger (Pete’s half-brother) defined as “all the music that fits between the cracks.” Folk musicians are story tellers, and Leonard’s knowledge of history and her story telling talents are evident in a number of songs. Also evident is her dedication to imagining and working toward the best for our country, our world, and humanity. Her music draws inspiration from what she sees around her, and she in turn stirs us with her music. Take a few minutes to listen and read, and, if you’re like me, you’ll catch the underlying sense of hope for our future because strength and resilience exists in each of us.

Being a long-time feminist, I was moved by the song We’re Still Here. The CD liner notes explain that it was inspired by “wonderful, clever signs” at the recent women’s marches.

To listen click the link below.

We’re Still Here
We are, we are, we are here.
Daughters of the witches you could not burn,
Working our magic for a better world.
We are here, we’re still here,
Working our magic for a future without fear.
We are, we are, we are here.
Daughters of the workers whose wages you stole,
Still fighting for equality at work and at home.
We are here, we’re still here,
Fighting for justice and a future without fear.

Click link to listen:
Some browser require double click to access audio

We're Still Here audio


Most of us are familiar with this country’s long struggle to end bigotry and hate, but decades of research focused on race and gender in the Civil War give Elizabeth Leonard unique and expansive insight. The Battle of Charlottesville offers a painful reminder that events in Charlottesville, Virginia in August of 2017, show the long way we still have to go.

The Battle of Charlottesville
You say, that the Battle of Charlottesville
is not who we are, well I disagree.
With these well-chosen markers of an ugly American past
It’s who we are, who we’ve been, but not who we can be
If we remember, we remember,
All the ones who bled and died that summer day.
In the great battle of Charlottesville,
Where white bigotry and hatred were so proudly on display.
If we remember, we remember,
Who we are is not who we must be.
If we remember the battle of Charlottesville,
Someday we’ll end this war,
We’ll set each other free.
Remember.

Click to listen:

The Battle of Charlottesville


Thomas Jefferson said: "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." For NFL player Colin Kaepernick, the unjust killing of scores of African Americans by police was reason to resist. Below is a link to the powerful song, Take a Knee, in its entirety. From the liner notes: “This song, combining a modified version of the hymn Lift Every Voice and Sing with story-telling verses whose rhythm and chord progression are based on the Star-Spangled Banner, honors the long history of Americans challenging the blind worship of our national symbols.”

Click to hear Take a Knee

There are 14 diverse and thought-provoking songs on this recording. I love them all. Each evoke images—from a fist clenched in protest to a mother’s hands meditatively knitting; from humanity gathered for battle, to humanity gathered in love and support. This old folk music fan found the voices, words and instruments akin to a warm, embracing hug, and the sad and angry refrains reminded me that I am not alone in the struggle as our nation searches for who we are, and who we will become.  I have hope for us, for our country, and for our world. I have hope because of the work people like Elizabeth Leonard contribute creatively, intellectually, emotionally and physically to move us forward so that someday we can say—with our heads high and our hearts open—this IS who we are! 


One final song, because it makes me smile and because, should reincarnation indeed be what the future holds, I know my preference If I Get to Come Back. 

If I Get to Come Back
I always say, if I get to come back.
I don’t need a pedigree, papers or plaques.
I don’t need a castle, or a throne with gold tassels.
Just let me return as a pampered house cat.
I always say, if I get to come back.
I don’t really care if I’m white, brown or black.
Docile or crabby, calico or tabby.
Just let me return as a pampered house cat.

Click to listen:

We're Still Here audio


If you’re interested in acquiring a copy of the CD for you or to share as a gift, they are $10 each and you can do so by emailing edleonar@colby.edu

Mother’s Day by Elizabeth Leonard
List of songs: If I Were a House; Button, Button; The Battle of Charlottesville; We’re Still Here; This Path We’re On; If I Get to Come Back; The Knitter’s Tao; Reasons to Stay; How to Silence a Problem Child; Take a Knee; Not; Mother’s Day; Passages; Don’t You Worry

This article was originally published on Me-AtLast.

No comments:

Post a Comment